Mindfulness Classes and MBSR Courses Wicklow
Greystones and Newtownmountkennedy
I offer various Mindfulness classes either in a group or on an individual basis. Courses typically range from 4 to 6 week as well as the MBSR Course which takes 8 weeks (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction)
Mindfulness Classes Wicklow can also provide Introductory courses to Teachers in Schools or other organisations on request. These courses can be designed and structured to suit the specific needs and requirements of the group.
For more detailed information on all my Mindfulness classes, have a look at my dedicated Mindfulness with Angelika website here
6 Week Mindfulness Course - starting 18th February
Finding Peace In A Frantic World
Anyone can learn Mindfulness skills and experience its benefits that touches every aspects of ones life.
This 6 week course is based on the book "Finding Peace In A Frantic World" by Mark Williams and Danny Penman which is a very practical introduction and guide to all aspects of mindfulness and even more importantly on how we can apply mindfulness skills to our everyday life.
To get the best out of the course participants are encouraged to engage with some home awareness practice each day, which will take between 20 - 30min and consists of formal as well as informal mindfulness practices. Every time we practice we are effectively strengthening the associated neuro-pathways in our brain which is important for change and for creating new and lasting habits. It is well proven now that our brains are neuroplastic, which means they can change and in fact are changing all the time. Mindfulness is a way of changing the brain in a way that we choose too, but we do need to actually do the practice.
During the course we will also address more specific applications of mindfulness according to what comes up in the group and what is needed to make it very personal and relevant to each of the participant.
This Course is also suitable for anyone with previous experience of mindfulness, has done an 8 Week MBSR course and who wishes to get the opportunity of a regular practice in a group setting which can greatly support their own personal practice at home.
Over the six weeks of the program, the practices may help you to:
- become familiar with the workings of your mind, including the ways we avoid or get caught up in difficulties.
- notice the times when you are at risk of getting caught in old habits of mind that re-activate downward mood spirals or ratchet up anxiety levels.
- explore ways of releasing yourself from those old habits and enter a different way of being.
- get in touch with a different way of knowing yourself and the world.
- notice small beauties and pleasures in the world around you instead of living in your head.
- be kind to yourself instead of wishing things were different all the time, or driving yourself to meet impossible goals.
- find a way so you don’t have to battle with yourself all the time.
- accept yourself as you are, rather than judging yourself all the time.
- be able to exercise greater choice in life.
- Effects of developing mindfulness include;
- Lasting decreases in physical and psychological symptoms
- An increased ability to relax
- Reductions in pain levels and an enhanced ability to cope with pain that may not go away
- Greater energy and enthusiasm for life
- Improved self-esteem
- An ability to cope more effectively with both short and long-term stressful situations.
- Enhanced interpersonal relationships
- Increased ability to manage anxiety and depression and/or low mood
- Reduced tension
- Better sleep
- Greater sense of meaning and purpose in life
Everyone is very welcome
- Where: The Space - Corner House (at the back the surgery).
- When: Mondays 7.45pm - 8.45pm starting 18th February 2019
- Cost: €75 incl. Handouts and recordings Booking essential
This is a highly practical, experiential and informative class.
Suitable for anyone even without any previous experience.
Please book your place here
MBSR 8 week course
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- Approach your life with more composure, energy, understanding and enthusiasm
- Develop the ability to cope effectively with short-term and long-term stressful situations
- Enhance your ability to manage and reduce pain levels in many instances
- Improve your focus, resilience and capacity to recover more quickly from challenging events
More information on MBSR Course in general please visit here
Next Course: Monday 18th February 2019
Newtownmountkennedy: The Space @ Corner House behind Village Practice
Cost: €295 for 8 x 2.5hr weekly class + 1 full Day + Workbook and Audio Recordings of Practices
Full details here
Mindfulness Classes Greystones
Cancer Support Center
This class supports anyone who is currently going through treatment or is recovering and also for those caring for somebody who is ill. This is an ongoing class possible to drop in as it suits. We practice all aspects of Mindfulness and create a supportive, deeply nourishing environment. Participants have found that this class has given them a different perspective about their health and how to look after themselves with kindness and compassion.
Where: Support Center Greystones.
When: Mondays 10.30am - 12.00pm and Friday 11am -12pm
Cost: free for Members please contact Greystones Cancer Support Center here
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is an integral mind/body approach supported by meditation practice for mental and physical health and general well-being.
When we bring mindfulness into our work, lives and relationships, we are learning to acknowledge what is going on for us in each moment- noticing the activities of the mind, sensations in the body and emotions and developing the presence and emotional resilience to respond in ways that are non reactive and more skilful.
At times of stress, depression and anxiety our defences and automatic coping mechanism often makes matters worse. We can use all kinds of strategies to avoid feeling this way.
A favourite is to retreat into our heads to think our way out of a situation. Rumination and judgemental thinking tend to carry us down a path of automatic pilot where we habitually find ourselves dwelling on the past or anticipating the future. Such distraction takes us away from the present moment with little satisfaction, low productivity and a lot of exhaustion. Our minds constrict and creativity dwindles.
As a consequence, we can engage in destructive self limiting beliefs, our self esteem and confidence dips and the quality of our relationships become strained and susceptible to conflict.
When we are mindful, we sharpen our ability to notice the point at which we have engaged in automatic and judgemental behaviour, and learn how to use the breath and body to maintain presence, clarity and centeredness.
Instead of using energy and stress to get rid of our difficulties and uncomfortable feelings, we learn how to relate to them differently and to be more accepting as it is. Learning how to accept what we cannot change and letting go our resistance to “what is” is one of the foundational elements of Mindfulness. This is key in helping us to relate effectively to stressful situations, ourselves and others.
Paradoxically, though taking our foot off the accelerator, giving ourselves a physical and mental break and operating from a place of core presence and awareness, we are often surprised to experience that life itself becomes more rewarding; relationships thrive and potential becomes a possibility.
The scientific evidence base that supports the effectiveness of Mindfulness approaches for mental and physical health and general well-being is very widespread and compelling.