Mindfulness Classes and MBSR Courses Wicklow
Greystones and Newtownmountkennedy
I offer various Mindfulness classes either in a group or on an individual basis. Courses typically range from 4 to 6 week as well as the MBSR Course which takes 8 weeks (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction)
Mindfulness Classes Wicklow can also provide Introductory courses to Teachers in Schools or other organisations on request. These courses can be designed and structured to suit the specific needs and requirements of the group.
For more detailed information on all my Mindfulness classes, have a look at my dedicated Mindfulness with Angelika website here
Newtownmountkennedy - The Space
6 Week Mindfulness Course “Finding Peace In A Frantic World”
This course is based on the same named book and follows a well-structured, informative and practical approach on how to bring Mindfulness into every aspect of life and experience the benefits for yourself rather then reading or hearing about them. Throughout this course you will learn and practice all the formal Mindfulness Meditations in class as well as at home and be encouraged to integrate some of the informal mindfulness practices into your daily life.
Dates: Monday 7th October – Monday 18th November -no class on Bank Holiday Monday 28th October
Time: 7.45pm – 8.45pm
Location: The Space – Newtownmountkennedy
Cost: €110 (6 x weekly classes + Mindfulness Day on 10th November) or €85 no Mindfulness Day
Provided: Personal Workbook, Audios and individual support if needed
Please book your place here
Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation
Numerous psychological studies have shown that regular meditator's are happier and more contented than average. These are not just important results in themselves but have huge medical significance as such positive emotions are linked to a longer and healthier life.
- Anxiety, depression and irritability all decrease with regular sessions of meditation. Memory improves, reaction times become faster and mental and physical stamina increase.
- Regular meditator's in general enjoy better and more fulfilling relationships
- Studies worldwide have found that meditations reduce the key indicators of chronic stress, including hypertension
- Meditation has also been found to be effective in reducing the impact of serious conditions, such as chronic pain and cancer and can even help to relieve drug and alcohol dependence.
- Studies have now shown that meditation bolster the immune system and thus can help fighting off colds, flu and other infectious diseases.
- Regular Mindfulness practice increases one’s general overall awareness of body, emotions, thoughts, habits and actions which is the first step for change and for learning new life skills.
It has been shown and proven through extensive research and brain scanning that a 6 - 8 week mindfulness program can literally change the physical structure of the brain such as the shrinking of the Amygdala Gland which is responsible for our “stress responses”. The effect of which is being able to respond rather than react habitually to challenging and stressful events. The other exciting discoveries was that the brain areas responsible for “empathy” and “reasoning” became more active and enlarged increasing the ability to bring attitudes of kindness and acceptance to oneself as well as to others. All of these resulted in an enhanced sense of well being and contentment and more resilience.
Mindfulness for Health and Well-Being
Anyone can learn Mindfulness skills and experience its benefits that touches every aspects of life.
This class is for anyone who would like to start practicing Mindfulness and is interested in learning what this is all about. It will also suit those with previous experience who would like to deepen their practice. The class is especially beneficial for anyone who would like to learn to manage stress, has anxiety, insomnia, chronic pain or is recovering from an illness.
These Mindfulness classes will help us to feel more connected and develop skills on how to look after ourselves more effectively in a kind and compassionate way. The class will give you a sense of deep nourishment and rest.
Mindfulness practices may help you to:
- become familiar with the workings of your mind, including the ways we avoid or get caught up in difficulties.
- notice the times when you are at risk of getting caught in old habits of mind that re-activate downward mood spirals or ratchet up anxiety levels.
- explore ways of releasing yourself from those old habits and enter a different way of being.
- get in touch with a different way of knowing yourself and the world.
- notice small beauties and pleasures in the world around you instead of living in your head.
- be kind to yourself instead of wishing things were different all the time, or driving yourself to meet impossible goals.
- find a way so you don’t have to battle with yourself all the time.
- accept yourself as you are, rather than judging yourself all the time.
- be able to exercise greater choice in life.
- Effects of developing mindfulness include;
- Lasting decreases in physical and psychological symptoms
- An increased ability to relax
- Reductions in pain levels and an enhanced ability to cope with pain that may not go away
- Greater energy and enthusiasm for life
- Improved self-esteem
- An ability to cope more effectively with both short and long-term stressful situations.
- Enhanced interpersonal relationships
- Increased ability to manage anxiety and depression and/or low mood
- Reduced tension
- Better sleep
- Greater sense of meaning and purpose in life
Everyone is very welcome
4 Week Introduction to Mindfulness
- Where: The Space - Corner House (at the back the surgery).
- When: Mondays 9th September - Monday 30th September 7.45pm - 8.45pm
- Cost: €40 for 4 weeks or €15 drop in Booking essential
This is a highly practical, experiential and informative class.
Suitable for anyone with without any previous experience.
Please book your place here
MBSR 8 week course
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- Approach your life with more composure, energy, understanding and enthusiasm
- Develop the ability to cope effectively with short-term and long-term stressful situations
- Enhance your ability to manage and reduce pain levels in many instances
- Improve your focus, resilience and capacity to recover more quickly from challenging events
More information on MBSR Course in general please visit here
Next Course: Monday 18th February 2019
Newtownmountkennedy: The Space @ Corner House behind Village Practice
Cost: €295 for 8 x 2.5hr weekly class + 1 full Day + Workbook and Audio Recordings of Practices
Full details here
Mindfulness Classes Greystones
Cancer Support Center
This class supports anyone who is currently going through treatment or is recovering and also for those caring for somebody who is ill. This is an ongoing class possible to drop in as it suits. We practice all aspects of Mindfulness and create a supportive, deeply nourishing environment. Participants have found that this class has given them a different perspective about their health and how to look after themselves with kindness and compassion.
Where: Support Center Greystones.
When: Mondays 10.30am - 12.00pm and Friday 11am -12pm
Cost: free for Members please contact Greystones Cancer Support Center here
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is an integral mind/body approach supported by meditation practice for mental and physical health and general well-being.
When we bring mindfulness into our work, lives and relationships, we are learning to acknowledge what is going on for us in each moment- noticing the activities of the mind, sensations in the body and emotions and developing the presence and emotional resilience to respond in ways that are non reactive and more skilful.
At times of stress, depression and anxiety our defences and automatic coping mechanism often makes matters worse. We can use all kinds of strategies to avoid feeling this way.
A favourite is to retreat into our heads to think our way out of a situation. Rumination and judgemental thinking tend to carry us down a path of automatic pilot where we habitually find ourselves dwelling on the past or anticipating the future. Such distraction takes us away from the present moment with little satisfaction, low productivity and a lot of exhaustion. Our minds constrict and creativity dwindles.
As a consequence, we can engage in destructive self limiting beliefs, our self esteem and confidence dips and the quality of our relationships become strained and susceptible to conflict.
When we are mindful, we sharpen our ability to notice the point at which we have engaged in automatic and judgemental behaviour, and learn how to use the breath and body to maintain presence, clarity and centeredness.
Instead of using energy and stress to get rid of our difficulties and uncomfortable feelings, we learn how to relate to them differently and to be more accepting as it is. Learning how to accept what we cannot change and letting go our resistance to “what is” is one of the foundational elements of Mindfulness. This is key in helping us to relate effectively to stressful situations, ourselves and others.
Paradoxically, though taking our foot off the accelerator, giving ourselves a physical and mental break and operating from a place of core presence and awareness, we are often surprised to experience that life itself becomes more rewarding; relationships thrive and potential becomes a possibility.
The scientific evidence base that supports the effectiveness of Mindfulness approaches for mental and physical health and general well-being is very widespread and compelling.